It didn't take long for me to follow up on my preview post of King of Kong to actually see the movie. Thanks to the Lord of All and MC Winks, the three of us headed over to the Kendall Square theater to check out what might be the greatest documentary on video games ever......ok, ok maybe the only one, but still the best!
In general I thought this was a great little movie. A bit short at 75 minutes or so, but still enough there to get into the story even if you have no idea who Billy Mitchell or Donkey Kong is. Here are the highlights I enjoyed the most:
- 'Daddy - come wipe my butt!'
- The shit-eating grin that Mitchell has on his face ALL the time
- Mitchell's disciples who might be more obsessed with him than the video games
- Funspot - really, you need to go here
- The cast of characters who make up the professional old school video gaming circuit - wow is all I can say
- Steve Wiebe's muscial chops - his drum solo is pretty cool
- How Wiebe mapped out each stage on his DK machine is interesting
- The head ref who founded Twin Galaxies is comedy gold!
Anyway I would say go see this movie if you are into gaming or documentaries. I feel as if you have to have some interest in the subject matter or it just won't sit right with you. the culture here to some people might come off as being a joke, but these people playing these games are serious about accomplishing their goals. Yes it's weird, but can't we say that about pretty much ever hobby or passion?